Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tulips Galore!

Yesterday Craig and I went to the annual Tulip Festival. The Tulip Festival takes place during the entire month of April in Mount Vernon, WA (right outside of Anacortes). It consists of food, music, shops, and fields and fields of tulips. There were miles of the fields with all different colors of tulips. I have never seen so many flowers in one place. They were gorgeous. It looked like people were swimming in tulips. The tulip fields were in farmlands surrounded by mountains, grassy fields, and country roads. It is very picturesque. We also discovered some vineyards that make some nice wine. I tried taking some pictures of all the tulips but I'm not sure they do it justice. I attempted to get Craig to pose by the tulips, but having him kneeling down smelling the flowers didn't look too natural...so I've posted some more "manly" tulip pictures of him (I'm not sure "manly" and "tulips" really go together, but hey...I think he looks handsome!).
After the tulip festival, we decided to head back to Anacortes but we didn't want the nice sunny day to go to waste so we headed to the coast. The tide was really low so there were some neat tide pools. Every rock we lifted up we found tons of little rock crabs. It was kinda weird because they blend in really well so it looks like the ground is moving. We also saw some other interesting creatures like this bright orange sea anemone. While we were sitting there looking under the rocks a kayaker passed by and a little head popped out of the water about 10 feet from where we were sitting. It was a sea otter. It freaked me out and I jumped a little. The sea otter was following behind the kayaker. Shortly after, two sea otters came swimming by. One was trying to eat what looked like an eel. He was having a hard time swimming and eating it so he came to shore. We both stayed really still and he didn't see us so he sat there eating the eel. After that, we were watching a really colorful sailboat and we saw two dorsel fins going up and down. They were too small for to be killer whales. We are pretty sure they were some kind of porpise. I guess if you sit there and wait, you never know what you might see. I really wish I had my camera!

2 comments:

Polly and Jeremy said...

It's too bad I can't get this pics to come up larger. Looks like a beautiful place!

Tammy said...

Seriously? We're jealous!