Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oatmeal...it works!

For the last 5 years or so, my doctors have consistently told me that my LDL (bad) cholesterol is boderline high and my HDL (good) cholesterol is slightly low. Ideally, you want to be in the optimal range for LDL which is between 100-129. For the last 5 years, my levels have been somewhere in the 130s. Well folks things are changing! Since starting up work again, I have religiously eaten oatmeal every single day for breakfast. I have not missed one day in over a month and a half. A week ago, I went in to get my cholesterol levels checked and guess what! HUGE improvement! My HDL was measured at 107!!!! This is amazing for me. My LDL was slightly higher as well... (one point below optimal), but still a HUGE improvement. This makes sense because oatmeal has been said to lower LDL cholesterol. I'm living proof folks...it really does...a lot (20% for me!).

My HDL improved slightly because I have been exercising 4 days a week for a 1/2 hour. Exercise is said to raise your HDL (good) cholesterol. My company allows me to leave 1/2 early every day just to exercise! Isn't that fabulous?? Every company should do this in my opinion. This exercise has certainly raised my good cholesterol!

So, if you are anything like me and have cholesterol levels that aren't optimal...seriously, one packet of oatmeal will make a HUGE difference! Easy to do and life long effects.

No comments: