Monday, April 23, 2012

Home Design

If I could, I would decorate houses for a living.  In the mean time, I do it for fun.  My first client...my sister.  She asked me to redo her downstairs which included an office, a piano room, a living room, and a breakfast/dining area. She wanted all new furniture, rugs, art, lamps, etc.  Basically I had empty rooms to work with.   Unfortunately I don't have the before pictures but I captured all the results.  I must note that although I take credit for the decorating, I couldn't do an ounce of this without Craig.  Craig helps me with all the wall hangings, the light installations, heavy lifting, furniture measurments, and I always ask for his opinion.  He is good at keeping functionality in mind so he always double checks me there! Both Craig and Dawson helped me do every room.  I decided Dawson inherited Craig's patience and I just so happen to have the two most patient guys in the world for a husband and a son. 
The biggest challenge of this project was that I had to buy it all together before any of it went in.  I bought everything first and then had all the furniture delieved on the same day and then put everything I bought (art, lamps, art, rugs, etc.) in the same day so that I could have one big reveal day.  I held my breath as the furniture was delievered hoping it would all fit and our measurements were right.  When I decorate my own house, I usually do a couple of things at a time.  The furniture first and then I go from there buying one piece at a time and usually take things back two or three times before I get it right.  In this case...I had to get it all right the first time.  Some how, some way I managed and it all came together perfectly. My secret...I carried around my "inspiration sheet" which I added photos of each piece as I bought it so I could always keep the right colors, textures, and looks cohesive.  So so much fun!
Here are the results from the last few months worth of decorating. The pictures don't quite do it justice since you can't see the textures and get the full feel. (Don't forget to look at the previous 3 posts of updated Dawson pics too!)

 The living room.  I ended up going with a casual - comfy look with a "clock theme"  We took a million measurments to make sure this sectional would fit.  The delivery guys barely got it through the front door however. They almost gave up but I insisted they keep trying.  Many, many attempts later...it barely made it in. Phew!


 I like to make all my own "art."  Here is some of my "clock" art
 More clock art.
 Here is the breakfast/dining area.  This was the biggest challenge since the space was so small yet I wanted to make it functional.  The focal point is definitely the chandelier.  Thank you honey for hanging this one :). 

 More clock art :)

 View from the living room. 
 The office revamped.  This is the only room that I worked around the previous furniture. 
 New chair, lamps, curtains and art.
 The piano room.  This room was a lot of fun!


That's it!  I do want to note that although I told my sister I would love to decorate her place...free of charge she did pay Craig and I for our "time."  I insisted that she didn't since I do it for fun...but she did anyway...and with that money...Craig is getting some new golf clubs.  So to all the husbands out there...helping your wife decorate...it does pay off!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Decorating... a skill I DO NOT have!