Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Gun Battery

This last weekend, Craig and I decided to go on a hike we have heard a lot about. The hike goes along this huge bluff that overlooks the water and moutains. The hike was absolutely stunning, and there were some added bonuses...we saw two humpback whales, and a couple of porpoises. We also discovered that a section of the bluff is famous for paragliding. While we were hiking by we saw two paragliders getting ready to take off. The biggest surprise from the hike was the WWII gun batteries. Craig had heard that they were along the bluff but we had no idea how extensive they were. The first one we came to looked just like a cave in the side of the mountain. The second one had a floorplan map on the outside and everything. It was so strange, as it was along our hike just out in the middle of nowhere. It was HUGE! Of course it was pitch black and we couldn't see a thing...so...it was a little scary at times. Many of the pictures I took were taken just to see where we were going via my flash. The entire gun battery all hidden underground was about 1000 square feet with about 15 different rooms. It is all open for people to go in and check out which was really cool. When you're inside everything really echos and at one point I thought I heard a bunch of dogs inside...so I ran...and it turned out to be Goose breathing really hard. Craig thought it was funny that I was running from Goose...who was of course chasing me...sounding like a pack of wolves. I let Goose and Craig lead the way after that incident.
(Location where we spotted the humpback whales)


( Craig at the gun battery entrance)

(This is one of the many rooms in the gun battery. We couldn't see it because it was so dark, but my camera picked it up with a flash)

(Inside the gun battery)

(Craig leading the way...)

(Goose and I sitting on top of the gun battery)

(Goose watching a paraglider getting ready to jump off of the bluff)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading about all of your adventures. Katie you are such a great writer and picture taker. It is a great way for Craig Sr and I to feel closer to you guys.

Thomas and Larissa A. said...

I love seeing some of that old WWII stuff. There's remnants of an old Army Air Station nearby in Hitchcock that housed a bunch of blimps used to protect the Gulf Coast from German U-boats. Hopefully they don't ever tear it down, for historical coolness.

Thomas